Canyon View is proud to announce the return of the radKIDS Personal Empowerment Safety Education Program!
*Parent Information & Registration Night will be on provided
What is radKIDS?
The radKIDS program is rooted in the cultivation of self-esteem and provides a comprehensive safety education and developmental life-skills curriculum to elementary school children. Curriculum topics include: Escape Routes, Anti-Bullying, Home Safety, 911, Out & About Safety, Drugs & Alcohol, Personal Boundaries, Predator Tricks, Good/Bad/Uncomfortable Touch, and Verbal & Physical Resistance.
Our radKIDS training is open to students in kindergarten through sixth grade, ages 5-12 years old. In order to graduate and simulate from radKIDS, children MUST attend ALL five 2-hour sessions.
Who teaches radKIDS?
The Joyful Child Foundation introduced the program to Canyon View nearly a decade ago and Mrs. Heard and Mrs. Condon, our Certified radKIDS Instructors, have continued to teach students how to avoid, resist, and if necessary, escape from abduction and other dangerous situations.
When will radKIDS be taught this school year?
- Dates to be determined.
***All dates are subject to change based on enrollment and Simulator availability.
For each radKIDS class: Please drop-off and pick-up students promptly at Room 28 (behind the bike racks), as there will be NO supervision after class. Students MUST wear closed-toed athletic shoes and comfortable athletic clothing. (Absolutely no: skirts, dresses, skorts, sandals, etc.) If needed, please eat a snack before class begins, though a labeled water bottle may be brought to class.
radKIDS yell loud, hit hard, and run fast!
Objective of Parent Night: To provide provide parents with important information and strategies to help keep children safe from abuse and abduction. Additionally, this event gives families an understanding of the radKIDS educational model and familiarity with the radKIDS curriculum, rules, and language used in the program for the children. PTA provides radKIDS Family Safety Manuals to all participating families so that parents can reinforce the lessons and lay the foundation for ongoing communication and empowerment for every child’s personal safety.
How can I sign up my student for radKIDS?
- In order to register your child in ANY radKIDS class this school year, a parent must attend the radKIDS Parent Meeting on Tuesday 11/13/18 from 5:30-7:00 in the IRC. The Parent Meeting is for PARENTS ONLY. Childcare will NOT be provided at this meeting and the material is inappropriate for children.
- Parents, please line up in front of the office (the only entrance for this event) and be on time. Registration for classes fills up quickly!
- Please check your child’s after-school calendar ahead of time and come prepared to the meeting knowing which session will work best for your family’s schedule. Session dates are on the reverse side of this flyer.
- Each radKIDS class allows a maximum of 20 students. Since these classes remain in high demand, your child might be “waitlisted” for your first session choice. Please decide ahead of time whether or not your second session choice will work for your family’s schedule.
- On a first-come, first-served basis, parents may register their child(ren) for one of the three radKIDS classes being offered this year. These classes are for CV students who have not yet participated in radKIDS. No exceptions will be made at this time.
- This Parent Night is MANDATORY for those wanting to enroll in the 2018-2019 classes and the ONLY opportunity to register for radKIDS this school year.
radKIDS suggested donation: The Canyon View PTA is excited to continue supporting safety empowerment with the radKIDS program —no other school in Orange County offers such an important child safety program! We appreciate suggested donations of $25 (per child). Cash & checks will be accepted at the Parent Meeting. Please make checks payable to: “Canyon View PTA” (Please note radKIDS on the “memo” line.) Contributions are voluntary and all students will be allowed to participate regardless of whether a donation is made.
We look forward to helping our students to feel more empowered and safe with this program!
- Saturday, January 25
- Monday, January 27
- Friday, January 31
- Monday, February 3
- Thursday, February 6
- Friday, February 7
- Monday, February 10